Merino Mountain Camp
- Unit 65
- Archery Elk – Over-the-counter licenses (either sex)
- 1st Rifle Elk – By application – typically draws with 0 points (either sex)
- 2nd Rifle Elk – Over-the-counter (bull or cow)
- Horseback Pack-in (2 hour ride)
- Elevations range from 10,000 ft to 13,000 ft
- Accommodates 2 to 4 hunters
Merino Mountain is known for consistently producing quality bull elk. Typography is diverse and it includes lush creek bottoms, open avalanche shoots, high benches, dark timber, and above timberline alpine tundra. This camp offers some of the best elk hunting in over-the-counter unit 65. We first started hunting this area in 2014 and since then it has quickly become a top producing elk camp.
Hunts & Rates
Calendar & Availabilities
We are excited about 2018. So far winter has been mild and the elk counts are good. CPW says we are at or close to herd management objectives and are beginning to pull back a bit on cow tags. Everything lines up to make 2018 look like another great year.
2017 was a banner year for archery hunters at Merino Mountain. All but one archery hunter let an arrow fly. Unfortunately not every arrow hit its mark, but hunters stayed in the elk and kept busy every day. A 90% opportunity rate is a great stat coming from an OTC camp. Rifle hunters didn’t fair as well but still got into some good elk and shot a solid bull on the last day of the hunt.